Every year, 3rd week of Friday is celebrated as World Sleep Day with the theme to highlight the importance of the Right Sleep. This year World Sleep Day shall be celebrated on 19th March 2021 with the theme and slogan of “Regular Sleep, Healthy Future” with the main emphasis on how the quality of life can be improved with healthy sleep.
On the occasion of World Sleep Day, Morpheus Healthcare, a company led by Aprameya Rajput, India’s first person to be certified by CCSH certification in Clinical Sleep Health released the 10 Point recommendations for a Healthy Sleep.
10 Point Recommendation for a Healthy Sleep:
1. Fix a bedtime and an awakening time.
2. If you are in the habit of taking a nap, do not exceed 45 minutes of daytime sleep.
3. Avoid excessive alcohol ingestion 4 hours before bedtime and do not smoke.
4. Avoid caffeine 6 hours before bedtime. This includes coffee, tea and many sodas, as well as chocolate.
5. Avoid heavy, spicy, or sugary foods 4 hours before bedtime. A light snack before bed is acceptable.
6. Exercise regularly, but not right before bed.
7. Use comfortable bedding.
8. Find a comfortable temperature setting for sleeping and keep the room well ventilated.
9. Block out all distracting noise and eliminate as much light as possible.
10. Reserve the bed for sleep and sex. Don’t use the bed as an office, workroom or recreation room.
According to Aprameya Rajput of Morpheus Healthcare, “Sleep is one of the three pillars of a healthy lifestyle alongside healthy eating and regular exercise. Sleep disturbances may lead to poorer physical and mental health and are known to increase the risk of developing other chronic health issues such as heart disease, type 2diabetes, obesity, stroke, cancer, and mental health conditions. Inadequate sleep is also associated with a reduced life span. Therefore we need to have good and right sleep. On World Sleep Day, we are creating awareness amongst the masses about the right sleep and its benefit.”
The company planned a series of webinars on 19th and 20th March with a Sleep expert to educate about the concept of “Regular Sleep, Healthy Future”- which is the theme of this year’s World sleep day. The webinar shall focus on the benefits that regular sleep offers by demonstrating various studies that show how stable bedtimes and rise times are associated with better sleep quality in young, middle-aged adults, and seniors. Also, the study shall share the benefit of regular sleepers have a better mood, psychomotor performance, and academic achievement.
The webinar also educates on the two-process model of sleep i.e. circadian regulation (process C) and homeostatic control (process S) that regulate both the timing and length of sleep. The process C refers to the internal clock regulated by a part of our brain called the suprachiasmatic nucleus (SCN) of the hypothalamus, which controls the 24-hour sleep-wake cycle via the influence of light and melatonin. And the process S promotes sleep based on the previous amount of time that we spent awake. The best sleep is when we synchronize our sleep/wake times to our internal clock and our sleep propensity finding the perfect equilibrium between process C and process S.
10 Point Recommendation for a Healthy Sleep by Morpheus Healthcare on the occasion of World Sleep Day – 19th March 2021